At least 30 students from a technical high school located in Iguala, a municipality in the northern region of Guerrero, were intoxicated by a pepper gas that was activated inside the institution.
The events occurred this Thursday at the “Sentimientos de la Nación” technical secondary school, in the municipal seat, and three adolescents were transferred to a hospital in an emergency due to tachycardia, allergies and difficulty breathing.
According to the director of Municipal Civil Protection, Claudio Ocampo Orozco, a student activated the gas “by accident” inside the classroom, causing discomfort to the adolescents who quickly washed their faces and received support to control their breathing.
Red Cross personnel intervened to review the students and transfer three of them to a clinic, where the presence of their mothers and fathers was required.
In Guerrero, the Safe Backpack Program, which consists of a surprise inspection of students’ belongings, has not been resumed and the last time the State Executive officially implemented it was in 2020, during the government of PRI Héctor Astudillo Flores.
In this regard, Claudio Ocampo considered that the authorities should resume the review of backpacks in elementary and middle schools, to avoid this type of situation.